Wednesday, May 11, 2011

One Roast...Five Meals!

I'm always trying to stretch meat to reduce the cost of meals. My goal is to never pay more than $5 for a dinner for the five of us (granted that is 2 adults and 3 young children). I found a bottom round roast marked down at Hannaford the other day. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it was definitely less than $1.99/lb as that is my target price for meat. I believe the roast was about 4 lb. I was able to stretch it to 5 meals doing the following:

Meal 1: Crockpot Roast Beef(adapted from a recipe on the back of Lipton Recipe Secrets Beefy Onion dry soup packets box)

4 lb Bottom Round Roast with fat removed
1/2 cup flour
2 envelopes of Lipton Recipe Secrets Beefy Onion Soup Mix (which I got free with coupons)
2 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (which I got for pennies with coupons)
1 cup red wine or water (I used the wine)

Place roast in the slow cooker; mix ingredients and pour over roast; set on low and cook for about 8 hours. The meat tasted so. good.!

I served this with a vegetable and oven roasted potatoes.

Meal 2: Sandwiches

I shredded part of the beef and made sandwiches out of the beef and cheese on hamburg buns marked down at the grocery store. Served this with chips and a veggie.

Meal 3/4: Beef Barley Soup

I used the remainder of the broth from the roast, shredded some of the beef and dumped it back in the broth, poured in a bag of frozen veggies, put in 1/4 cup of barley, filled up the remainder of the crockpot with water, set the crockpot on low for a few hours and voila....soup! We got at least 2 meals, if not 3 out of the soup (I have 2 jars of it in the freezer for later use!) This I served with drop biscuits.

Meal 5: Enchiladas

remainder of shredded beef- about a cup
1 can refried beans- free with coupon
1 package of guacamole- free with coupon
2 cup shredded cheese
1 package tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce- free with coupon
salsa (optional)

Lay the tortillas out and spread beans and guacamole on each. Place shredded beef on each and top with cheese or sour cream. Spread some salsa then wrap each tortilla. Place seam side down in a casserole dish or 9X13 pan. Pour can of enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 for 30 min.

Serve with brown rice and corn.

And there you have it! One roast....5 meals!




No comments:

Post a Comment