Monday, January 16, 2012

Peak into our day...

Naomi to Olivia while playing house: "You waked me up too eawly (early) and now I'm cranky!"  I don't think she's ever heard that come out of anyone's mouth here!

Just thought I'd give the more experienced mother's a flashback and the current mother's a sympathy post today...

How to accomplish a project when one is 36 weeks pregnant and has 3 small children under 5....

Several, several weeks months ago, we decided to replace our current curtains/drapes with more thermal ones since our house is an icebox in the winter.  I was given some heavy duty drapes that I decided to *pregnancy brain...can't think of the right word to use....re purpose, reconstruct, change* to fit Timmy's room.  This meant cutting the drapes, changing their direction, sewing, hemming, etc...and I know no more than basic sewing skills!  Anyway, I did 3 of the 4 and the 4th one has just been hanging for months!  It's driving me crazy (thanks nesting phase of pregnancy!).  So, I decide to attempt to work on it today.

The kids are all playing nicely...Olivia and Naomi are playing house, Timmy is playing with their dollhouse.  No one realizes that I am even still in the house.  I grab the curtain off the rod and sneak into my bedroom in hopes that no one will notice I've gone in there.  I lay the curtain out on the floor, grab my sewing supplies and gingerly lower this big ole' body of mine (complete with beyond beach ball size belly) onto the floor.  My knees touch the ground, I cut about 5 inches of fabric and the door flies open.  Naomi enters...."Mommy what are you doing in here....what's this....what are these....what do you do with this...." as she picks up scissors, pins, pin cushion etc.  "Naomi, please put that down, you're going to hurt yourself...no, don't touch that either...Naomi if you touch anything else you're getting in trouble."  Seeing the closet door open, she decides to check out what is in the closet..."Mommy, look at all this junk in here!  What is all this stuff?"  "Naomi, why don't you go play with Olivia"...in comes Timmy....he of course proceeds to touch everything, over and over again.  "Timmy, don't touch that...sharp...no, no scissors....Timmy I said don't touch....Timmy, go get your sock out of the living room and bring it to me so I can put it on you."  Naomi exits the room and Timmy finally goes out to put his one sock on.

I proceed to make a few more cuts thankful they are both gone...3 seconds later, in comes Timmy.  "Sock!  Sock!" as he whips out a tube of diaper rash cream and steps on it as though it's a sock. "No, that's not a sock you silly boy!  Go put that back and get your real sock out of the living room."  He decides he'd rather open it and try to squirt it all over.   "Oh, no you don't!" I say as I crawl over to him...since it would be too difficult to actually get up off the floor.  I grab it from him and decide...this is just not working.  Forget the sewing project, I'll work on it later...

Later...hmmm....when will that be...not during nap time as I will be napping as well!  Not at night after they go to bed because I can barely lift myself off the couch by that time....not on Saturday when Daddy is home to watch the kids, because his next few Saturdays are taken up with side jobs, continuing education, and helping a particular (very excited I might add!) couple move into their new house!  Maybe it'll just have to wait until after I have this baby.  If I can barely get down to the floor to work on this now, there's no way I'll manage to get down to the floor and back up again in a few weeks when my belly doubles in size!

Anyway, back to the present...I put the diaper cream away and go search for the sock.  Haha...find the sock?  Amidst the chaos in the living room?  There are blankets strung from every surface...some are homes, some are doctors offices, some are restaurants....there's play food covering the floor and dollhouse people and accessories everywhere.  I notice the girls...Naomi is laying on the top of their little children's table and Olivia is underneath it pretending it is a bunk bed!  I decide to get back down on the floor and start picking up the dollhouse stuff since lunch is nearing and we always do a big clean up right before lunch.  Of course, I get down to the floor (a major feat!) and as I crawl around cleaning up, my phone rings.  Figures!  That means I have to try to get up again....should I attempt to get myself up off the floor and answer the phone, or should I just let it go to voice mail and finish cleaning up and return the call later when I finally get off the floor?  I decide to get up.  I struggle, but I make it.  As soon as I enter a standing position, this baby drops right onto my bladder...yikes!  Ouch!  Now I need to use the bathroom too!  I answer the phone and hear my sister say, "Oh...whoops, I was trying to get a hold of Mom!  Sorry, I dialed your number instead!"  After a few laughs she hangs up....

And so the day shall progress!  This all happened in about 40 minutes...should be interesting to see what happens the rest of the day!

Anyway, back to the floor to finish cleaning the dollhouse accessories as the girls clean up the play food and blankets.  Oh wait...first another trip to the bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment