Wednesday, August 31, 2011

We're back!

We made it! Thanks to U. Fred's enormous help, we are back to the 21st century. Our computer contracted a virus (maybe the strep that was going around the house!) 2 Thursdays ago. After much hassle moving files to a flash drive, down the computer went to U. Fred's computer infirmary to be healed. After several days of intense surgery, the computer was back on it's feet and healthier than ever! (Albeit, it was formatted and back to its original factory state!)

Lessons learned with no computer for a week and a half: 1) As much as I hate to admit it, it is close to impossible to live in this society without a computer/Internet. I rely on it for everything: research, communication, recipes, bill paying, checkbook balancing, watching movies, obtaining directions, checking weather, keeping track of the hurricane that is about to supposedly tear your yard apart, etc. Of course, we don't have TV either, so we were considerably off the grid! 2) Life is simply and sweeter without a computer. I really didn't think I would say that, but I'm so much less distracted, less "busy", more in tune to my children, and get more done without a computer!

So, what then is the compromise? I can't live without a computer, but living with it can be cumbersome to a degree. The compromise would be limited use of the computer for necessary endeavors. For starters, today I'm going to list my hopes for accomplishment on this blog to keep me accountable. I'm almost sure I won't get them all done, but they say "Shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll land among the starts!" (Or something to that effect!)

Without further ado:

~Walk to a YouTube video
~Shower
~Fold (too many!) loads of laundry. There's at least 5 loads of clean laundry waiting!
~While folding, listen to a talk on Family Life Live or one of the equivalents if it's quiet enough in the house!
~Make muffins for Pete's lunch
~Take the kids outside
~Make a chore list with the kids to entice them to help out!
~Go to the chiropractor, Bob's (to use a $10/$10 coupon...don't you love those!), and K-mart to return something (all while Pete is watching the kids)
~The usual: make/clean up lunch, put out fights, clean up after mischievous children...namely a little man!, take a nap
~Post a follow up on here...probably tomorrow

Guess I'd better get started! Off to take a "walk"!

No comments:

Post a Comment